Review: The Forgotten Home Child by Genevieve Graham


source
The Forgotten Home ChildThe Forgotten Home Child by Genevieve Graham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I knew this book would deal with some heavy topics. I never expected it to leave me in tears. Once I finish a book I can usually dive right into the next without a problem. But this one haunted me. I knew it was fiction but knowing that these types of things happened in the past weighed on me as I read.

Winny is ninety-seven years old, living with her granddaughter and great-grandson Jamie, the spitting image of her late husband. An old wooden trunk has them asking questions when it's contents tumble out. It's part of Winny's painful past she longed to forget. And when they ask her about the family tree she starts her story at what brought her to Canada.

The book is told in parts each one starting in present day. Then the chapters move to the past told from Winny's point of view and switch back and forth to Jack's point of view. They are indentured servants who were told that they were coming to Canada for better opportunities. But their reality is much harsher than they could have imagined.

That last line had me in tears!
Go read this book!

This ARC was provided by NetGalley and Simon & Schuster.
#TheForgottenHomeChild #NetGalley


View all my reviews

It's out today! Go grab a copy.

xo
Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Five....

Monday Pretties...